Friday, January 28, 2011

The BidThe Bid by Jax

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


JAX (aka Jacquelyn Frank) has created a very interesting world in ‘The Bid’. This is primarily a sci-fi romance, with some erotic and paranormal elements. The sex is hot, tasteful and intense, and the emotions ring true. I really felt Najir’s love for Hanna. I also felt some frustration with the rules of the society in this book where slavery is a huge part of their economy and culture, but so did the main characters of the book, which is as it should be.



There is a very big secret in this book, and I won’t ruin it by giving any spoilers. I just wanted to mention that the build up of suspense is very well done, and I was turning pages as fast as I could to learn what the secret was.



I have to admit I’m not usually a big fan of sci-fi romances, so that probably affects my overall rating of the book. However, of the books in that sub-genre that I’ve read, this was a pretty good one.



What I liked: hot sex scenes, action that kept things moving and was pertinent to the story, a heroine who was strong, intelligent and likeable, and a killer surprise.



What I didn’t like: a rather weak villain (though his weakness showcased the heroine’s strength nicely), the love triangle (I felt terrible for Najir), and some things that felt like they weren’t really fleshed out.



Despite the fact that I wouldn’t list this in my top favorite books, it was still a good read and I’d be interested to see if this turns into a series, especially if Najir gets his own book and the happy ending he deserves.



Note: I received a free copy of this book as part of a First Reads giveaway on Goodreads, but that did not influence my rating or review. Free is always appreciated, but I was notified of the win at the end of October and didn't get the book until mid-January.





View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment