Monday, January 16, 2012

An Unexpected GentlemanAn Unexpected Gentleman by Alissa Johnson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Reviewed for TwoLips Reviews. 4 Kisses, 1/2 pepper (some love scenes, but not overly graphic)





Adelaide Ward is very reluctantly preparing to accept a marriage proposal from Sir Robert Maxwell. He’s a priggish jerk, but he has income that will save her family, and for Adelaide, that’s what really matters. Enter Connor Brice, who’s focused on revenge against Sir Robert, his half brother who had him wrongfully imprisoned when he was just fifteen years old. Connor publicly compromises Adelaide, and then offers marriage. Adelaide realizes he’s not an ideal husband and isn’t keen on being a tool for his revenge, but reluctantly decides he’s a better option than Sir Robert. Connor gets off to a bad start by being blatantly manipulative, but as the romancing begins, it becomes clear that revenge is only part of his motivation in pursuing Adelaide. As more is revealed about Connor and Sir Robert, it’s obvious that Connor is the more honorable man.



An Unexpected Gentleman by Alissa Johnson has great characters, believable and engrossing conflict, a powerful and tender romance, a stunning transformation and redemption of the hero, an easy-to-read pace, and overall just a really good story. I ended up liking Connor so much more than I thought I would at the outset of the story. The dialog between the characters was witty and charming, and there were parts that made me laugh out loud (or at least smile). I especially liked Adelaide; she’s reasonable, level headed, forgiving, and not bent on making Connor miserable, despite his obvious shortcomings. This book was not as sexually explicit as many books I’ve read, and I was rather surprised that I didn’t really miss it. I will be interested to read more books from Ms. Johnson.



http://www.twolipsreviews.com/content/in...



View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment