Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Duke's Perfect Wife (Highland Pleasures, #4)The Duke's Perfect Wife by Jennifer Ashley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Reviewed for TwoLips Reviews, LLC
4.5 Kisses, 1 Pepper (m/f oral sex)

Hart Mackenzie, Scottish Duke of Kilmorgan, seems to have it all. Power, wealth, intelligence, and a definite way with people, especially women. Lady Eleanor Ramsay was once engaged to marry Hart. She approaches him with a naked photo of him that was mysteriously delivered to her and offers to work for him and find out who sent it. If it got out, it would humiliate him, despite the fact that his tarnished reputation actually enhances his political career. This is all quite fortuitous for Hart, because he was planning to approach her about reuniting anyway. He's getting a second chance with her. I love reunion stories, especially when neither character is bitter.


For me, one of the highlights of this book was Hart's autistic brother, Ian. I absolutely adore him in this book. He was perfect in his own book, The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie, but he's a marvelously developed character in The Duke's Perfect Wife, too. When they were younger, Hart protected Ian from their father, taking punishments and beatings in his stead, ultimately saving his life. If Hart never did one other good thing in his whole life, I'd love him just for that.

The Duke's Perfect Wife was a fantastic book with lovable characters, a compelling plot, and a near-perfect end to a very memorable well-crafted series. Ultimately, I did feel like it was missing a little something because there are references to the dark side of Hart's sexuality in this and previous books in the series, but then it doesn't really seem to be addressed as fully as I anticipated. I was looking forward to a more dominant hero when we finally got to Hart's story, and while he was terrific, his dominance seemed to fizzle. I think if I hadn't been expecting it, I probably wouldn't have missed it so much.

Still, I've found you just can't go wrong with a book by Jennifer Ashley. Everything came together very nicely and this is a must read book for any fan of well-written historical romance.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment